Wellness Activities: What is Happening at Our Schools
Camarillo Heights STEM Academy
- CHS has student leaders creating a weekly wellness message segment for morning announcements using video. This video is shown both in classrooms and posted on our website YouTube link for families to view as well.
- Teaching the Seven Habits of Happy Kids, a social emotional/leadership program to develop the whole child.
- Mindfulness Group Support led by our Resource Teacher to learn self-awareness and control over their bodies and minds (students are invited by the team)
- Running Club in the mornings
- Garden Club
Dos Caminos School
- Wellness Wednesday messages
- Classroom garden box for every classroom.
- Implementation of hand-sanitizing stations at lunch and recess
- Classrooms following district guidelines for healthy eating and alternatives to sugary foods and class parties
- Physical Education Program
- TK/K/1--Music and Movement program every week, plus Motor Lab each week
- All grades: use of technology based programs to do physical fitness activities inside the classroom and the MPR such as GoNoodle.com and various Nintendo Wii games (Get Fit, Let's Dance, Zumba for Kids)
- School recycling program: recycling plastic bottles (teaching the importance of drinking water and how recycling can improve the health of our earth)
- Outdoor Classroom a space outside with "tree-stump" chairs to hold classroom lessons outside based on the philosophy of getting students outside more!
La Mariposa School
- PTA / Volunteer school gardening program
- School wide recycling program
- Healthy choice focus for Red Ribbon Week
- PE for Grades K-5
- Tiger Olympics - Three day activity and wellness event for the entire school
- At least one all-school assembly per year with a health focus
- 4th and 5th grade cross country team
Las Colinas Middle School
- Daily PE/Fitness
- Wellness Wed announcements
- PVSD nutrition program
- Peer mediation
- Restorative Justice to student conduct
- Access to school counselor
Las Posas School
- Student Gardens
- Intramural sports going on all year long at lunch time
- Weekly Wellness Wednesday messages
- Second Step taught in K-3rd Grade
Los Primeros School of Sciences & Arts
- Runners Club on Tuesday at lunch – Students try to run a marathon at school throughout the year and collectively try to combine their miles to reach a far-away destination. This year, they are traveling from Missouri to Oregon along the treacherous Oregon trail.
- Student Gardens Boxes and Composting – Farm to Table… and Outdoor Classroom
- Rotary Track Meet and Bananarama 5K Run
- Middle School Sports League – Boys and Girls Volleyball, Co-ed Flag Football, Co-ed Soccer, Boys and Girls Basketball, Cross Country (including 5th grade as an intramural opportunity)
- Wellness Wednesday Messages each week
Monte Vista Middle School
- Healthy snack options and water sold by ASB that conform to all guidelines from D.O.
- Intramural at lunch (multiple sports) throughout the school year
- Boys and girls athletic teams, including basketball, soccer, flag football, cross country, cheer and volleyball
- Annual Field Hockey Tournament at Moorpark for grades 6-8
- Weekly Wellness Wednesday announcements over the P.A.
- 100 mile challenge in P.E. (Walk, run, and or bike at least 100 miles during a school year)
- Embedded health instruction units in PE
- Zoology class (with four chickens)
- Tobacco Use Prevention (TUPE) club – meets monthly ------ PSAs (Public Service Announcements) created by broadcast journalism class on health topics, i.e., not smoking or vaping, recycling, etc...
- WEB (Where Everybody Belongs) elective – student support for 6th grade students for a smooth transition to middle school
Pleasant Valley School of Engineering & Arts
- Wellness Wednesday message into our news show
- PE specialist for grades 4 & 5
- After school league sports
- Hand sanitizing station at the lunch shelters
- Go Noodle in several classrooms
- Outside garden boxes for students to grow fruits and vegetable
Rancho Rosal School
- We have been doing our Wellness Wednesday message each Wednesday morning.
- Many of our staff also use “Brain Breaks” throughout the day during their instructional time.
- Many teachers have also added walk/jog to their daily routines, having their classes run a couple of laps for cardio work.
- Teachers and students particpate in the 100 Mile Challenge where miles are tracked daily. Students are acknowledged for reaching 10, 25, 50, 75, and 100 miles
- RRS has a sustainable Garden that is maintained by students and staff.
Santa Rosa Technology Magnet School
- Excellent salad/fruit bar and amazing food that is prepared fresh each day
- 6-8 PE program
- Camarillo Independent Sports League
- BoosterThon Fundraiser
- Lunch time sports program for 4th thru 8th grades
- Students created Wellness messages and PSAs reqarding healthy choices
- YMCA run PE for Grades TK-5
- After school sports program/Camarillo Independent Sports League
- Particpation in the Ventura County Cross Country League
Tierra Linda School
- Movement brain breaks in class using Just Dance and GoNoodle
- Weekly Wellness messages
- Using photos of students with healthy food choices on Tierra Linda social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook
- Revamping of Life Lab garden area to include greenhouse and citrus trees
- Junior Optimist participation in Noontime optimist Walkathon