Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title

Household Income Instructions


Total Household Income includes all of the following:

  • Gross earnings from work: Use your gross income, not your take-home pay. Gross income is the amount earned before taxes and other deductions. This information can be found on your pay stub or if you are unsure, your supervisor can provide this information.
  • Welfare, Child Support, Alimony: Include the amount each person living in your household receives from these sources, including any amount received from CalWORKs.
  • Pensions, Retirement, Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Veteran’s benefits (VA benefits), and disability benefits: Include the amount each person living in your household receives from these sources.
  • All Other Income: Include worker’s compensation, unemployment or strike benefits, regular contributions from people who do not live in your household, and any other income received. Do not include income from CalFresh, WIC, federal education benefits and foster payments received by your household.
  • Military Housing Allowances and Combat Pay: Include off-base housing allowances. Do not include Military Privatized Housing Initiative or combat pay.
  • Overtime Pay: Include overtime pay ONLY if you receive it on a regular basis.


How do I report household income for pay received on a monthly, twice per month, bi-weekly, and weekly basis?

Determine each source of household income based on above definitions. Households that receive income at different time intervals must annualize their income as follows:

  • If paid monthly, multiply total pay by 12
  • If paid twice per month, multiply total pay by 24
  • If paid bi-weekly (every two weeks), multiply total pay by 26
  • If paid weekly, multiply total pay by 52

If your income changes, include the wages/salary that you regularly receive. For example, if you normally make $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and made $900, write down that you made $1,000 per month. Only include overtime pay if you receive it on a regular basis. If you have lost your job or had your hours or wages reduced, enter zero or your current reduced income.