Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title

Immunization Requirements for Grades TK-8

Each student enrolling for the first time in the district school, preschool, or child care and development program, shall present an immunization record from any authorized private or public health care provider certifying that he/she has received immunization in accordance with state law. Students shall be excluded from school or exempted from immunization requirements only as allowed by law.

      California:   Guide to Immunizations Required for School Entry Grades TK/K-12 

                          Guía de Vacunas Requeridas para el Ingreso Escolar Grados TK/K-12

                                     Pre-Kindergarten Immunization Requirements

                                     Requisitos de Vacunación para Pre-Kínder

              New Regulations (starting July 1, 2019)    Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

                                                                                    Conditional Admission FAQs

                                                                                    Transitional Kindergarten FAQs  

The State of California Digital Vaccine Record (DVR) Portal:

In California, the immunizations that are given to your child by your child’s primary health care provider are reported to the California Immunization Registry (CAIR). To get a digital copy of your child’s vaccination record go to the link here.  Please read the instructions on the Digital Vaccine Record portal, fill out the required fields to receive a link to a digital copy of your child’s vaccination record.   You will need to print a copy of the immunization record from CAIR and provide this copy to the school during registration.

NOTE:  It is possible that some or all vaccine doses your child received were not reported to CAIR, and therefore the Digital Vaccine Record may not be complete.  If your child’s record is incomplete, please ask your provider to submit your child’s vaccine information to CAIR so the record can be updated.  If your child received their vaccinations from a federal agency (e.g., Department of Defense, Indian Health Services), you may need to contact those agencies for assistance with your child’s vaccination record.

If you have questions about your child’s vaccination record, visit FAQ.

7th Grade Varicella and Tdap:   

Flyer / Listo para el 7 grado

All students entering, advancing or transferring into 7th grade for the 2023-24 school year and beyond will need proof of an adolescent whooping cough booster immunization (called “Tdap”) and two doses of Varicella for school entry.  

This school immunization law affects all students in public and private schools. If your child has a Permanent Medical Exemption, 7th grade is the next grade span, a new Permanent Medical Exemption will be needed for 7th grade through 12th grade, see below 'Medical Exemptions' (CAIR-ME). 

Your child must be completely immunized for all the required immunizations for this age group. See 'Guide to Immunizations Required for School Entry Grades TK/K-12' above for the requirements.

Vaccines for Your Preteen - Vacunas Para su Preadolescente 

Medical Exemptions: 

Starting January 1, 2021, (SB 276 and SB 714) new immunization medical exemptions can only be issued through the California Immunization Registry- Medical Exemption (CAIR-ME) website by physicians licensed in California.  Schools can only accept from parents new medical exemptions that are issued CAIR-ME.

A parent can create an account and log in to CAIR-ME to submit a request for a medical exemption.  The parent takes the exemption request number to their child's physician who can log into CAIR-ME to issue the exemption.  Once the exemption is issued, the physician prints the two-page form and provides a copy for the parent to give to their child's school. 

Instructions to Request a Medical Exemption (CAIR-ME)

                                                        Instrucciones papa Solicitar una Exención Médica

Varicella Immunization requirement for TK/K-12 admission or for advancement into the 7th grade a school can no longer accept a 'history of chickenpox (had disease)'.  This is not sufficient documentation to meet the school requirements. A medical exemption document may be used for a child who had chickenpox disease that was documented by a physician.  This is usually done by the physician having a titer done to verify the immunity.  See medical exemption requirements above.


CDPH Shots for Schools    

Vacunas para las Escuelas CDPH

CDPH Resources for Parents

Senate Bill No. 277

CA Code of Regulations, Title 17, Division 1, Chapter 4, Subchapter 8, Article 1:  Effective July 1, 2019

California Immunization Registry Medical Exemption (CAIR-ME)  

Ventura County Immunization Program

Ventura County Child Health & Disability Prevention Program (CHDP)

Ventura County Public Health CHDP Program Providers