SCHOOL BUS SAFETY TIPS
Is your child new to the bus? Would you want to know about our CHAPS bus program?
We have produced a safety video you can see together with your student.
BE SAFE AT THE BUS STOP
The greatest risk to your child is approaching or leaving the schoolbus.
Teach your child to follow these practices to make school bus transportation safer.
Safety Starts at the Bus Stop
- Teach your child the 5, 7, 3, Method
- 5 - Your child should arrive at the bus stop at least five minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive.
- Visit the bus stop and show your child where to wait for the bus:
- 7 - wait at lest 7 giant steps (twelve feet) ahead of where the bus stops.
- 3 - wait at least three giant steps (six feet) away from the curb.
- Remind your child that the bus stop is not a place to run or play.
Get On and Off Safely
- When the school bus arrives, your child should wait until the bus comes to a complete stop, the door opens, and the driver says it’s okay before approaching the bus door. Your child should use the handrails to avoid falling.
Use Caution Around the Bus
- Your child should never walk behind a school bus.
- If your child must cross the street DO NOTCROSS ALONE!
- All PVSD students MUST be escorted across the street
- If your child drops something near the school bus, DO NOT PICK IT UP. The driver might not be able to see him/her.