Welcome to the Monte Vista Middle School Music Program!
Monte Vista offers three levels of band:
Beginning Band - No experience needed! Students may learn Flute, Clarinet, Alto Sax, Trumpet, French Horn,Trombone, or Baritone.
Intermediate Band - For 7th and 8th grade students with at least 1 year of experience.
Advanced Band - 7th and 8th grade students with at least 2 years of experience may audition to become part of the award-winning MVS Advanced Band.
Interested in being in band? Email Miss Copsey at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
1. All band students should bring their instrument, method book and sheet music to every class session. Please remember to drop off your instrument in the band room before school (8:05-8:25 AM).
2. Combined Rehearsals for all Intermediate and Advanced Band students will be held Thursday, Nov. 21st, Tuesday, Dec. 3rd and Thursday, Dec. 5th from 7:15 - 8:05 AM in the band room to prepare for our upcoming Winter Concert on December 7th. Please enter campus through the "F" gate (next to the bike racks). Students must attend at least two rehearsals!
3. All Band students will perform at the Monte Vista Band Winter Concert on Saturday, December 7th. Please note - Due to inclement weather, the performance has been moved to the Monte Vista Gym. Report time is 9:40 AM. The performance will last from 10:00 AM - 11:10 AM. Attire - MVS Band tshirt, black pants. Students may wear Santa hats.
4. Intermediate and Advanced Band students are invited to march in the Camarillo Christmas Parade on Saturday, Dec. 14th. Students must attend the Marching Practices on Dec. 3rd and Dec. 5th at PVSEA. See the attached flyers for more information. Marching Practices Camarillo Christmas Parade info
5. Advanced Band students who wish to try out for the Ventura County Honor Band should already be working on the music for the audition. Please contact Miss Copsey if you have any questions or need help with the music. Students must audition for Miss Copsey by December 13th to be put on the official audition list (Formal auditions are Tuesday, Jan. 14th). Additional dates and information are available at www.vchb.org.
Intermediate and Advanced Band students should aim to practice 20-30 minutes a day, 3-4 days per week, depending on their skill level. Practice should include warm-ups, scales, method book work (including Rank Solos) and sheet music.
Beginning Band students should try to practice 10-15 minutes per day, 3-4 days per week. Students should work on memorizing the new notes and fingerings and gradually build up to playing 10-15 exercises out of the method book (Standard of Excellence Book 1) during a practice session. Students should also focus on learning the Rank Solos for the rank of Private or Private First Class (depending on their progress) from the method book.
This is my fourteenth year teaching music at Monte Vista and I have been teaching instrumental music in PVSD since 1999. I am excited to work with the talented musicians at this school to build a high-quality music program.
Questions about the Music Program? Email Miss Copsey