Welcome to the Monte Vista Middle School Music Program!
Monte Vista offers three levels of band:
Beginning Band - No experience needed! Students may learn Flute, Clarinet, Alto Sax, Trumpet, French Horn,Trombone, or Baritone.
Intermediate Band - For 7th and 8th grade students with at least 1 year of experience.
Advanced Band - 7th and 8th grade students with at least 2 years of experience may audition to become part of the award-winning MVS Advanced Band.
Interested in being in band? Email Miss Copsey at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
1. All band students should bring their instrument to each class session. Students should drop their instruments off in the band room before school starts. If your student does not have their own Standard of Excellence Book 1, they may borrow a classroom book to practice, but they will need to return the book the next morning.
2. The Band Room is open Tuesdays at Lunch for extra help/solos. Bring your lunch! (Note - Tuesdays are cancelled if we are on a rainy day schedule)
3. The band room will be open from 8:05-8:25 AM for students to drop off instruments before school and from 3:05-3:15 PM for students to pick up instruments after school. Please note that personal insurance and rental insurance will not cover any instrument left overnight on campus.
4. The Advanced Band Recruiting Tour to our elementary feeder schools will be Tuesday, April 9th. Report time 8:05 AM (Bus leaves by 8:15 AM so don't be late!). Attire - MVS Band Tshirt and black pants/shoes. Students will return to campus by 12:10 PM and enjoy a pizza lunch. Students that do not wish to have pizza should bring their own lunch to school.
5. The Advanced Band Disney trip for the Magic Music Days Workshop will be Tuesday, April 23rd. Students need to report at PVSEA/old Los Altos (700 Temple Ave) at 6:15 AM. Students need to bring their instrument, snacks, a non-perishable sack lunch/dinner and/or money for food in the park, and wear comfortable clothing and shoes. Please make sure to wear sunscreen as well. We will return to PVSEA/Los Altos around 8:45-9:00 PM.
6. The Monte Vista Spring Concert for all band students will be Friday, May 17th at 7 PM. Report time is 6:30 PM. Attire - White shirt and black pants/skirt with black shoes. Students should sign-in in the band room at 6:30 PM.
Beginning Band (3A) - Students should practice 10-15 minutes, 3-4 days per week on pages 19-25 in Standard of Excellence Book 1. Each student should spend extra time on the solos they need to pass (have your child show you their Rank Card and explain which solo they are on). Students should also practice the sheet music provided in class.
Intermediate Band - Students should practice 20-30 minutes, 3-4 days per week on scales, method book (Standard of Excellence Book 2) pages 6-15, Rank Solos, and sheet music provided in class.
Advanced Band - Students should practice 20-30 minutes, 3-4 days per week on scales, method book review (Standard of Excellence Book 3) pages 5-12, Rank Solos, and sheet music provided in class.
This is my fourteenth year teaching music at Monte Vista and my twentieth year teaching in Pleasant Valley School District. I am excited to work with the talented musicians at this school to build a high-quality music program.
Questions about the Music Program? Email Miss Copsey