Welcome to Math and Language Arts
Mrs. Whittington - Teacher
Textbook and Curriculum
The math department is using the common core curriculum Big Ideas for each grade level. The complete common core math standards can be found at: www.corestandards.org/assets/CCSSI_Math%Standards.pdf
Behavior Expectations and Guidelines for Success
Every student has the right to learn in an environment free of distractions. No student may disrupt or prevent fellow students from learning.
- Respect peers, teachers and yourself at all times
- If you are unsure, ASK then discuss as much as necessary to make sure you understand! Mistakes are the way we learn, so make mistakes and learn from them.
- Remember to always thank someone for their help or a kindness shown.
These classes adhere to the discipline guidelines and rules set forth in the Monte Vista student handbook as well as CHAMPS behavior expectations. Students are expected to follow all classroom and school rules including the dress code.
- Be in your seat quiet and ready to work with the tardy bell rings.
- Come to class prepared to work every day.
- Turn in assignments on time.
- Quality work is expected. Take pride in your work and yourself.
- No gum or food is allowed; water bottles only -and only with water.
- Cell phones and other electronic devices are to be turned off and put away at all times unless instructed to do otherwise by the teacher.
Consequences [in order]
- Verbal warning
- Private conference
- Nutrition and/or lunch detention
- Phone call / email home
- Office referral and phone call home
- Email/postcard home
- Class rewards
Homework and Grading Policy
Participation in class discussions and asking questions make up 50% of the classwork grade. Homework is assigned as needed and should take no longer than 30 minutes to complete.
WORK DONE IN INK WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!
GRADE WEIGHT GRADING SCALE
Tests = 50% A= 90-100%
Quizzes/classwork = 40% B= 80-89%
Homework = 10% C= 70-79%
F= 59% & below